{PHOENIX MARATHON}
MARCH 1, 2014
I wanted to document as much as I could remember so I'm using this blog post to do so.
I usually don't do much writing on here, so if you're here just for the photos that's fine
just go ahead and skip over all the jibber jabber.
The day before the BIG day Mom, Suzette and I headed to the EXPO at Mesa Riverview, my GPS lead us astray and Rebekah (my running partner who signed up for the 1/2) came to our rescue and got us on the right path. She met us there and we had a great time exploring all the goods after picking up our race numbers and goodie bags. We picked up a few souviners: magnets, charm necklaces, and new race belts!
After the expo we headed back home to relax. Mel and Brad came down with the kiddos
and we went to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner. A buffet, a nice variety of hopefully something that would settle well in my stomach. I picked around all my food eating some salad, veggies, bread sticks, pasta, a baked potato and some chocolate ice cream. We came home and got everything laid out and ready for our early wake up call. Mom braided our hair and we watched a few shows on netflix to distract us before heading to bed around 9:30pm. Morning came quickly after a few hours of tossing and turning with pre-race nerves through the night. I woke up around 3:15a and laid around in bed until I finally got up and got myself dressed. Eric was our chauffeur, we hopped in the truck and headed to our bus pick up spot where we made one of the last buses up the hill to the start line!!
15 minutes later we got off the bus and joined the crowd waiting in the
RAIN
WIND
and
COLD.
The next few minutes we:
stood in line for the port-a-pots
huddled under heat lamps
we listened to them play that National Anthem at 6am and had a nice firework show!
Then it was time to line up at the starting line.
Mom and I let Suzette join the front while we hung back with the 4:45 pace group. The gun went off and things started moving right along, before we knew it we crossed the start and were on our way! RUNNING for the next 4-5 hours : )
A FEW HIGHLIGHTS:
A cute old man told us we stood out from everyone because we weren't wearing headphones.
We saw a dead snake in the road.
We squatted behind some bushes...
I ran next to a lady for a few miles who told me she is planning to run a marathon in every state.
(She's only done 10 states but over 42 marathons!)
Mom and I stayed together for the first 15 miles.
We kept our eyes on the girl in the orange shirt- and both eventually passed her!
Saw Eric at mile 11 AND mile 17.
Eric's cousin Brook made me a sign and cheered me on with Jordan and baby Quinn at mile 17.
I was kind of a freak show...seriously who looks that happy and excited at mile 11 & 17. ME.
The RED tunnel is where the half marathon started...reaching that was a huge releif!
The rest was downhill from there!
: )
Just to be clear, the clock timer is when the gun went off,
I didn't actually start the race until 3 minutes after.
Finishing at 4 hours 34 minutes.
WE DID IT!
We all crossed the finish line!
I let some young kid put my medal around my neck
got handed a bottle of water, took a few gulps
looked around for Eric (was a little nervous about finding him since my phone died)
heard him yell my name just seconds after I finished
untied my shoes
saw Suzette finish!!
posed for a few photos
saw MOM in her bright blue shirt and headband cross the finish!
hugged, laughed and smiled
talked and told stories of the crazy people we met the last few miles
posed for a few more photos (thanks hunny)
finally left the "finish area" and headed to get our free goodies
ate a fruit cup and let some guy from DOLE take a photo of me eating his cup for fb
got a free bagel, oranges, chocolate covered pretzels, black licorice, muscle milk
and then got a well deserved massage and stretch
walked very SLOWLY through a few booths
started getting COLD...
found the waffle luv truck and shared a giant waffle
and then got out of there just as the rain started!!
The next few days were a little rough.
We had a LITTLE bit of a hard time walking around but managed pretty well.
Bryson gave me a great foot rub! Mom and I soaked in the hot tub. Suzette stretched out my legs. Rebekah let me use her foam roller. By Tuesday I think we were all feeing back to normal!
Running has slowed down quite a bit since the big race, but I'm already planning a few races this summer and fall. Rebekah won't let me rest for too long, this running partner had me doing speed intervals on Friday! I can't wait for the next big race!!!!
amazing!!!!! such a fun adventure and such a cute blog to document it all :)
ReplyDelete